Buy a Gift Voucher
4-Week Beginners Oil Painting Course: Level 1
Oil painting for complete beginners
This 4 - week course is designed for the complete beginner as an introduction to the fundamentals of oil painting, including how to select the right mediums and materials, preparing to paint, basic colour theory, techniques and composition. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one tuition.
You will learn the basics of oil painting through a series of exercises, making paintings as you go, and should be able to continue painting with confidence at home. Our studio-based classes are fun and informative and include wine, cheese and refreshments to keep you going. Visit our website for more information and to see examples of student work: fitzroypainting.com
* PLEASE NOTE that due to high demand and limited places we are unable to offer 'make-up' classes for this special price 4-week course. Please check your diary before booking and read our T&C below!
About your tutors:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music.
Judith Van Heeren is a professional artist who has been painting images from the natural world for the past 30 years. She exhibits in private and public galleries, and her work is held in many public and private collections nationally and internationally. Judith has been finalist in prizes including the Geelong contemporary art prize and Waterhouse natural history art prize.
Ebony Truscott is an Australian artist employing observational realism in painting and works on paper. Her work is marked by an interest in human sensation and perception, particularly the relationship between sight and touch. She has taught at the National Gallery of Australia, The University of Melbourne and the Victorian College of the Arts.
- Introduction to oil painting: use of materials, understanding colour, tone and composition
- Safe studio practice for working at home
- Solid and fundamental foundations for oil painting
- Individual attention and support
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- Practical demonstrations
- The opportunity to learn in a relaxing and supportive environment, with gourmet refreshments
- Your own materials and oil sketch paper (or hire a kit from us, all materials supplied). Materials list attached to booking confirmation and on our website, www.fitzroypainting.com
Your own apron, art smock or painting shirt.
If you would like to gift this course AND add on kit hire ($50) OR purchase a kit from us ($100) please add that to the total gift amount.
Course refund policy:
- There is no charge to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 administration fee on all refunds.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Should a course booked need to be postponed a credit voucher will be issued and the class or workshop rescheduled.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course and workshops, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Full details can be found on our refund policy.
Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit voucher for a replacement class, course or workshop.
Collection of work and materials left at the studio: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Beginners work and painting kits will only be retained for one month after which they will be disposed of. Ongoing students may store their materials in the shelving provided at the studio.