Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
4-Week Beginners Oil Painting Course: Level 1
Established in 2009 and run by professional artists and highly qualified teachers, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners began when a need for a ‘back to basics’ method of teaching was identified.
This 4 - week course is designed for the complete beginner as an introduction to the fundamentals of oil painting, including how to select the right mediums and materials, preparing to paint, basic colour theory, techniques and composition. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one tuition.
You will learn the basics of oil painting through a series of exercises, making paintings as you go, and should be able to continue painting with confidence at home. Our studio-based classes are fun and informative and include wine, cheese and refreshments to keep you going. Visit our website for more information and to see examples of student work: fitzroypainting.com
* PLEASE NOTE that due to high demand and limited places we are unable to offer 'make-up' classes for this special price 4-week course. Please check your diary before booking and read our T&C below!
About your tutors:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music.
Ebony Truscott is an Australian artist employing observational realism in painting and works on paper. Her work is marked by an interest in human sensation and perception, particularly the relationship between sight and touch. She has taught at the National Gallery of Australia, The University of Melbourne and the Victorian College of the Arts.
- Introduction to oil painting: use of materials, understanding colour, tone and composition
- How to develop your work and continue painting at home
- Practical demonstrations and safe studio practice
- Individual attention and support
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- Gourmet refreshments
- Your own paintings to take home and proudly display
- The opportunity to learn in a relaxing and supportive environment, and make new friends
- Use of studio equipment, including low-toxic, low-odour solvents and mediums, safe clean-up materials and many extras!
- Your own materials and oil sketch paper (or hire a kit from us, all materials supplied). Materials list attached to booking confirmation and on our website, www.fitzroypainting.com
Casual clothes, aprons provided. Painting can be messy!
If you would like to gift this course AND add on kit hire ($50) OR purchase a kit from us ($100) please add that to the total gift amount.
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Uncollected materials and artworks will be disposed of at the end of each year.