Buy a Gift Voucher
4-Week Beginners Oil Painting Course: Level 2
For students who have completed Level 1
Designed to encourage confidence and to inspire, this course is for students who have already completed our Beginners Course: Level 1 OR students with previous oil painting experience and competency with colour mixing and representational painting. If you are not sure please contact us before booking!
Attendees will be guided through a series of painting exercises that explore the genres of Portraiture, Landscape and Abstraction. The first three classes in the course of four will teach students the fundamental rules of each genre whilst reinforcing sophisticated use of colour and palette control.
Students will focus on the importance of preparation, observation, creative problem-solving and patience whist working in a supportive and friendly environment.
Each class involves sophisticated colour mixing, giving students confidence with the manipulation of their palette to match any colour, in order to create mood and cohesion.
In the final class students will be able to incorporate these skills to generate their own artwork within their chosen genre.
The course will also include discussion about safe studio practice at home and working independently. Students should already have a basic painting kit, other colours required will be provided for the duration of the course.
* Please note that we are unable to offer 'make-up' classes for this special price 4-week course due to limited class places. Please read our T&C below!
About your tutor:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music. In 2015 along with artist Storm Gold, Kez opened CAVES, a curated, not for profit gallery located at the Nicholas Building in Melbourne, Australia.
Where to purchase your materials:
You can purchase a basic kit from us online at time of booking or order a kit through the art shops listed below.
The following offer our students a 10% discount
Neil Wallace Printmaking Supplies 409 Gore St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5949
St Luke, 32 Smith St, Collingwood Tel: (03) 9486 9992
MES, 33A St David, St, Fitzroy 3065 Tel: (03) 9419 5666
We also have an optional hire-kit available for $50
- Introduction to underpainting and glazing (supplementary paints provided)
- Looking at colour relationships, including warm, cool and complimentary colours
- Advanced painting techniques and methodologies
- Individual attention and support
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- Gourmet refreshments
- A couple of cotton rags
- Your own materials (or hire a kit from us). There is a complete list on our website.
- Masking tape
Your own apron, art smock or painting shirt.
Beginners who have completed Level 1 or have some previous oil painting experience
If you would like to gift this course AND add on kit hire ($50) OR purchase a kit from us ($100) please add that to the total gift amount.
Course refund policy:
- There is no charge to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 administration fee on all refunds.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Should a course booked need to be postponed a credit voucher will be issued and the class or workshop rescheduled.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course and workshops, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Full details can be found on our refund policy.
Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit voucher for a replacement class, course or workshop.
Collection of work and materials left at the studio: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Beginners work and painting kits will only be retained for one month after which they will be disposed of. Ongoing students may store their materials in the shelving provided at the studio.