Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
4-Week Beginners Oil Painting Course: Level 2
Established in 2009 and run by professional artists and highly qualified teachers, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners began when a need for a ‘back to basics’ method of teaching was identified.
Designed to encourage confidence and to inspire, this course is for students who have already completed our Beginners Course: Level 1 OR students with previous oil painting experience and basic competency, wanting a 'refresher' course. If you are not sure please contact us before booking!
You will be guided through a series of observation-based exercises to study a range of advanced painting techniques and methodology exploring underpainting options, tonal values, the use of transparent and complimentary colours and their various applications, as well as reflected light and shadows.
In the second half of the course you will be working on one painting applying the techniques learnt in the earlier exercises. The course will also include discussion about safe studio practice at home and working independently. Students should already have a basic painting kit, other colours required will be provided for the duration of the course.
* Please note that we are unable to offer 'make-up' classes for this special price 4-week course due to limited class places. Please read our T&C below!
About your tutor:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music. In 2015 along with artist Storm Gold, Kez opened CAVES, a curated, not for profit gallery located at the Nicholas Building in Melbourne, Australia.
Where to purchase your materials:
You can purchase a basic kit from us online at time of booking or order a kit through the art shops listed below.
The following offer our students a 10% discount
Neil Wallace Printmaking Supplies 409 Gore St, Fitzroy Tel: (03) 9419 5949
St Luke, 32 Smith St, Collingwood Tel: (03) 9486 9992
MES, 33A St David, St, Fitzroy 3065 Tel: (03) 9419 5666
We also have an optional hire-kit available for $50
- Introduction to underpainting and glazing (supplementary paints provided)
- Looking at colour relationships, including warm, cool and complimentary colours
- Advanced painting techniques and methodologies
- Individual attention and support
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- Gourmet refreshments
- A couple of cotton rags
- Your own materials (or hire a kit from us). There is a complete list on our website.
- Masking tape
Casual, aprons provided. Painting can be messy!
Beginners who have completed Level 1 or have some previous oil painting experience
If you would like to gift this course AND add on kit hire ($50) OR purchase a kit from us ($100) please add that to the total gift amount.
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $20 administration fee + the Weteachme booking fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Collection of work and materials left at the studio: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Beginners work and painting kits will only be retained for one month after which they will be disposed of. Ongoing students may store their materials in the shelving provided at the studio.