Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Portrait Painting with Yvette Coppersmith
In this six-hour class you will learn a variety of skills and techniques towards understanding portrait painting. Run by reknown Australian artist and 2018 Archibald Prize winner Yvette Coppersmith, you will be taken through the process of portrait painting as Yvette guides you along the way with practical demonstrations. All materials are included.
Building skills incrementally, this workshop is designed to develop and strengthen observational skills and to provide a structure in working with the portrait.
Topics include seeing the face geometrically, tone and colour, preparatory studies, portrait proportions and painting techniques.
The workshop will be split into two sessions, with a one-hour lunch break in the middle, morning and afternoon refreshments are provided. There are many good cafes close-by to find some lunch.
About your tutor:
Yvette Coppersmith began her practice as a portraitist working within the realist style and over the past 15 years has expanded her subject matter and style to include working in abstraction. Yvette exhibits nationally and internationally, and has been commissioned for portraits for public and private collections. Yvette has been a finalist of art prizes including the Archibald four times, the Doug Moran four times, the Portia Geach five times. Her 2017 Archibald portrait of Emirtus Professor Gillian Triggs is part of the Foxtel Arts doco 'The Archibald'. Yvette won the inaugural Metro Prize in 2003 and began teaching painting/drawing in 2004. She has run workshops at the National Gallery of Victoria, Benalla Regional Art Gallery, Geelong Grammar and private art schools.
Follow Yvette's Instagram feed for images of her latest work.
- An understanding of the planes of the human head
- Identifying portrait structure and tonal values
- Painting a self-portrait from the mirror
- All materials included
- Practical demonstrations
- Morning and afternoon tea
- A small notebook may be useful
Casual clothes, aprons provided
Intermediate and advanced art students
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Uncollected materials and artworks will be disposed of at the end of each year.