Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Introduction to Oil Painting
In this six-hour oil painting intensive we will cover the basics of our Painting for Beginners course, compressed into a one-day session. You will have the chance to learn the basics of oil painting including understanding pigments and what to look for when buying paints, colour mixing, composition, tonal values and safe studio practice before going on to make a finished work to take home. This is a fun and fast-paced class (with a half-hour lunch break) designed to cover a lot of information in a short period of time, and all materials are included. If you are time-poor but want to try oil painting, this is the workshop for you!
This workshop will cover everything you need to know to get you started, demystify a lot of painting myths and give you the confidence to try painting at home. Handouts on selecting materials and working at home will be sent out after class.
Your teachers are Kez Hughes and Adriane Strampp. Kez is a practicing artist, and sessional lecturer at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts. Adriane is a professional artist exhibiting regularly around Australia
You are in excellent hands and will be guided patiently throughout the class, with practical demonstrations and assistance. All materials and refreshments are provided and questions are welcome!
Please note that this is a painting class and you may get messy so please dress appropriately. Aprons are available for student use. All materials are provided for this workshop, optional take-home oil painting kits are available for purchase at checkout when booking.
- The fundamentals of oil painting
- Colour mixing, accurate handling of oil paint and medium and safe studio practice
- How to make a painting from start to finish, and take home your own masterpiece!
- Practical demonstrations
- All materials and information sheet handouts
- All materials are provided
Casual clothes, aprons provided
Complete beginners and those curious about trying oils
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $20 administration fee + the Weteachme booking fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Collection of work and materials left at the studio: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Beginners work and painting kits will only be retained for one month after which they will be disposed of. Ongoing students may store their materials in the shelving provided at the studio.