Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Picturing Nature: A Watercolour Workshop
Picturing Nature in Watercolour is a one-day workshop on observational nature drawing in watercolour with Melbourne artist Judith Van Heeren.
This six-hour course will guide the student in the art of observing and focusing on the intimate in the natural world.
The morning session will focus on observational drawing and familiarising with the medium: sketching in pencil; mixing colour through transparent layering; becoming familiar with the brushes and their endless possibilities; exploring wet on wet techniques and wet on dry.
There will be a one-hour lunch break and there are many cafes nearby.
In the second half of the day we will combine the various techniques and work on a detailed study in watercolour. All materials, morning and afternoon tea supplied.
Follow Judith's Instagram feed for images of her latest work.
Judith Van Heeren is a professional artist who has been painting images from the natural world for the past 30 years. She exhibits in private and public galleries, and her work is held in many public and private collections nationally and internationally. Judith has been finalist in prizes including the Geelong contemporary art prize and Waterhouse natural history art prize. While predominantly known for her oil paintings, she considers her watercolours on paper the essence of her practice as the intimacy of paper and the delicacy of watercolour allow her to explore the sublime in the natural world. In recent years Judith has conducted private workshops in addition to her own practice.
- Sketching in pencil and observational drawing
- Mixing colours through transparent layers
- Developing concentration and engaging with the natural world through art
- Practical demonstrations
- All materials
- Morning and afternoon tea
- All materials provided however a small notebook may be useful
Casual clothes, aprons provided
Beginners and more advanced art students, some drawing skill an advantage
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $20 administration fee + the Weteachme booking fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Collection of work and materials left at the studio: Please understand that our storage capacity is extremely limited. Beginners work and painting kits will only be retained for one month after which they will be disposed of. Ongoing students may store their materials in the shelving provided at the studio.