Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Wednesday Morning Studio: Beginners & Intermediate
Established in 2009 and run by professional artists and highly qualified teachers, Fitzroy Painting for Beginners began when a need for a ‘back to basics’ method of teaching was identified.
This oil painting class is an ongoing day-class designed for complete beginners, for students with some previous experience who are looking for support and guidance or for students who have completed our Beginners Level 1 course and would like more instruction. Beginners will be introduced to the fundamentals of oil painting, including how to select the right mediums and materials, preparing to paint, basic colour theory, techniques and composition. Intermediate students will be able to gain a 'refresher' in areas they are a little rusty in, as well as develop their own work with technical guidance and support. Class sizes are limited to ensure one-on-one tuition, and students may start at any time if a place is available. Upon completion students are welcome to remain as ongoing students.
Beginners will learn the basics of oil painting through a series of exercises, and Intermediate students are welcome to join in on any exercises if they wish, or to bring in their own projects. Our studio-based classes are fun and informative and include morning tea, as well as use of low-toxic, low-odour painting mediums and solvents. Visit our website for more information and to see examples of student work: fitzroypainting.com
* PLEASE NOTE that due to high demand and limited places we are unable to offer 'make-up' classes for this special price 4-week course. Please check your diary before booking and read our T&C below!
About your tutors:
Kez Hughes graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts and Music in 2015 with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Hons) Painting and has gone on to lecture at the Ian Potter Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation at Melbourne University and the Victorian College of Arts and Music.
- Introduction to oil painting: use of materials, understanding colour, tone and composition
- How to develop your work and continue painting at home
- Practical demonstrations and safe studio practice
- Individual attention and support
- Insight into the practical application of art materials and techniques
- Step-by-step guidance by professional artists
- The opportunity to learn in a relaxing and supportive environment, and make new friends
- Your own materials and oil sketch paper (or hire a kit from us, all materials supplied). Materials list attached to booking confirmation and on our website, www.fitzroypainting.com
Casual clothes, aprons provided. Painting can be messy!
Complete beginners.and students who have a little previous experience but need a 'refresher'
If you would like to gift this course AND add on kit hire ($50) OR purchase a kit from us ($100) please add that to the total gift amount.
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Uncollected materials and artworks will be disposed of at the end of each year.