Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Plein Air Landscape Painting & Drawing
This new workshop is a monthly 'plein air' painting and drawing group that will work directly from observation in the landscape, guided by Melbourne artist John R Neeson.
We will meet up at a set location beginning with the beautiful and central Carlton Gardens, and each month explore different media and associated techniques applicable to working from the landscape, including basic perspective, selecting and simplifying your composition, identifying tonal values, layering, colour blending and making more complex colours to build depth and tone,
Students will learn the process of working outdoors, creating interesting compositions and capturing light and shade using a range of wet and dry media.
All materials are provided.
Please note: During the summer months this class will begin at 9 am to take advantage of the cooler hours. In the event of wet weather all students will be contacted, and a new date scheduled.
- Plein Air painting and drawing techniques
- Colour mixing using dry and wet media
- Identifying tonal values, colour blending and the use of atmospheric perspective
- Useful tips and techniques to working outdoors
- Tuition by an experienced 'plein air' painter
- Finished work to take home
Tram 86 or 96 to the corner of Nicholson and Gertrude St.
There is also a carpark (enter from Nicholson St) located next to the Melbourne Museum, weekend daily flat rate of $18.
- All materials are included
Open to all levels
Course refund policy:
- Full refunds for cancellations can be given up to 30 days before the course commencement date. If available, we are happy to transfer you to another course or workshop at a later date with 30 days notice.
- A 50% refund will be given for cancellations up to 10 days before the course commencement date.
- No refund will be given after 10 days before the course commencement date. Under exceptional circumstances a full refund will be given regardless of date of cancellation.
- No make-up classes can be offered for our beginners courses.
- Please note there is a $30 fee deducted on all refunds.
Bookings and class cancellations policy:
Due to the high demand for classes and small number of places available in our 4-week beginners course, Fitzroy Painting is unable to swap, substitute or offer ‘make-up’ classes. Ongoing students please contact us if you are unable to attend a class. Absences without notification will forfeit the full class/course fee and receive no credit.
Should Fitzroy Painting be forced to cancel a class students will be notified as soon as possible prior to the scheduled class and will receive a credit for a replacement class or a refund as required.
Uncollected materials and artworks will be disposed of at the end of each year.